How do I take this medicine? Take Digoxin exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Digoxin must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking it even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by your doctor. Your condition may worsen if Digoxin is stopped suddenly.
You may take Digoxin with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Do not take Digoxin together with high fibre foods such as cereals, high fibre bread, fruit or vegetables as these can reduce the absorption of Digoxin.
Do not switch between different brands of Digoxin unless your doctor has specifically told you to do so. What should I do if I have forgotten to take this medicine? Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Remember to take your medicine regularly. Digoxin must be taken exactly as directed for it to be effective. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Can I take this with other medicines? Alert your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially those listed here:
- other medicines for heart problems, irregular heart beat or high blood pressure especially amiodarone, dronedarone, propafenone, quinidine, midodrine, verapamil, felodipine, tiapamil
- diuretics ("water pills") such as frusemide, furosemide, bumetanide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone
- asthma medicines
- mood medicines such as nefazodone, trazodone, diazepam, alprazolam
- cholesterol medicines
- epilepsy (fits) medicines
- cancer medicines
- painkillers such as indomethacin
- medicines for anaesthesia such as succinylcholine
- medicines for stomach problems such diphenoxylate, metoclopramide or propantheline
- antibiotics such as erythromycin, clarithromycin, ciprofloxacin and related medicines
- antifungal medicines such as itraconazole, amphotericin B
- tuberculosis (TB) medicines such as rifampicin
- St John's wort (herbal remedy)
Do not take antacids at the same time that you take Digoxin. If you are taking antacids, take them 1 hour before or 2 hour after Digoxin.
Always inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription. How should I store this medicine? Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.